Doctors’ death toll rises in DRC attacks

DRC Ebola rages out of control

DRC doctors fighting Ebola

from JEAN KASSONGO in Kinshasa, DRC
KINSHASA, (CAJ News) AT least 11 health workers have been killed and 83 injured during attacks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) this year.

This is from 390 attacks on health personnel and facilities during the period.

The killing of four Ebola response staff and the injury of seven others in the eastern Mangina town on November 27 is the latest in a series of attacks.

“Such senseless violence must stop,” said World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Tedros was speaking during a visit to the city of Goma.

He called for improved security in the region to protect health workers trying to contain Ebola.

“You (health workers) are working to save lives and you get attacked. This is wrong,” Tedros said.

Despite the disruptions blamed on rebel groups, WHO and humanitarian partners in eastern DRC have committed to continue their Ebola response operations.

Since the start of the outbreak in August 2018, over 3300 people have contracted Ebola, some 2100 of whom have died.

In recent weeks, there had been an encouraging decline in the number of people confirmed with the virus.

“Every time an attack like this happens, it disrupts efforts to contain the Ebola outbreak and puts the health and wellbeing of local men, women and children at greater risk,” Tedros lamented.

– CAJ News

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top